We use cookies to enhance your browsing experience, serve personalised ads or content, and analyse our traffic. By clicking "Accept All", you consent to our use of cookies.
Customise Consent Preferences
We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.
The cookies that are categorised as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ...
Always Active
Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.
No cookies to display.
Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.
No cookies to display.
Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.
No cookies to display.
Performance cookies are used to understand and analyse the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.
No cookies to display.
Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customised advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyse the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.
Five football fans were found guilty of attacking Israelis following a game in the Netherlands
An Amsterdam court has handed down sentences to five people in connection to last month’s clashes between Dutch and Israeli football fans, which the Israeli officials described as a pogrom.
The clashes occurred on November 7 following a game between the local team Ajax and the Israeli club Maccabi Tel Aviv. The violence erupted during a spike in anti-Israeli sentiment stemming from the war in Gaza. Some attackers carried Palestinian flags and chanted antisemitic slogans.
On Tuesday, the court found five Dutch nationals guilty of violence against Israelis, sentencing four of them to between one and six months in prison. The fifth convict was sentenced to 100 hours of community service.
While the court found video evidence of attacks against Maccabi fans, it also noted that footage showed Israeli fans pulling down Palestinian flags, shouting anti-Arab slogans, and vandalizing cabs.
Although there were conflicting reports on what specific incident led to the unrest, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu called the attacks on Israeli fans as a “horrific antisemitic incident,” while President Isaac Herzog labelled them “an antisemitic pogrom.”
Amsterdam Mayor Femke Halsema said the unrest was caused by “a toxic cocktail of antisemitism, football hooliganism and anger over the war in Palestine and Israel and other parts of the Middle East.”
Halsema later told the media that she regretted describing the clashes as a pogrom. “I saw how the word pogrom became very political and actually became propaganda,” she said, arguing that the word was “mainly used” to discriminate against Muslims living in the Netherlands.